Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Join Cartwheel to help tackle the student mental health crisis.
Today, 1 in 5 children has a mental health condition, but the vast majority don’t get treatment. Families are waiting months to see a provider—if they can even find one who takes insurance.
Schools are on the frontlines of this crisis: Students with mental health challenges miss 10 extra days of school per year, and up to 1 in 3 drop out in high school. Meanwhile, educators and school staff are burning out at record rates and struggling to manage a downward spiral in student behaviors, academic outcomes, and health crises.
But schools are also uniquely positioned to tackle this crisis: They’re convenient and trusted spaces in the community, and educators and staff often have the most context on what’s going on in a student’s life. In the wake of the pandemic, schools finally have tens of billions of dollars in funding to reimagine mental health programs—and they’re looking for help to do so.
Cartwheel is a new company partnering with schools to transform student mental health.
We help every student access the timely, affordable, evidence-based support they deserve:
- We provide direct care to students via telehealth, including mental health assessments, therapy, and medication. With Cartwheel, families access care in days, not months.
- We help schools strengthen Multi-Tiered Systems of Support, from professional development for staff to educational programming for parents and families.
- We’re committed to serving communities that have historically had the least access to quality mental health care, including families who are uninsured or covered by Medicaid.
Kids shouldn't just aspire to get out of bed and drag themselves to class. They should be able to experience joy. They deserve to envision and build a life they’re excited to live. If you join Cartwheel, you’ll help make this vision a reality for millions of students across the country.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for team-oriented and mission-driven clinicians to join our care team of psychopharmacologists, therapists, and school health professionals. As a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, you'll work directly with school staff, students, and families in our partner school districts to build stronger systems of mental health support.
Role type: Part-time to full-time (5-40 hours per week)
Location: Up to 100% remote
Start date: Rolling start dates, beginning January 2023
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide psychiatric medication management for school-age children and adolescents in Cartwheel’s partner school districts
- Participate in case discussions with other Cartwheel team members
- Support students and families with transition to community mental health and primary care providers
- Build collaborative, trusted, and lasting relationships with school leadership, staff, students, and families. Meet regularly with school staff to discuss student mental health needs and develop strategies to improve school services.
- Help lead mental health workshops and other programming for staff and families
- Partner with school leadership on achieving their overall mental health vision
WHO YOU ARE
- Passion for working with schools on mental health
- Massachusetts APRN authorization as PCNS or PNMHCS with prescriptive authority
- Experience providing care to children and adolescents
- Excellent organization, communication, and teamwork skills
- Fluency in a second language (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese)
- Experience working in a school setting
- Willingness to offer hours both during and after a typical school day
The above is a summary of the role, not an exhaustive list. If you think that you have most of the above but not everything, please apply. We'd love to hear from you.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE CARTWHEEL
At Cartwheel, you’ll have an unmatched provider experience.
- Flexible and up to 100% remote role (5-40 hrs/week)
- Competitive compensation ($120-160K cash compensation for full-time clinicians)
- Full-time roles include excellent health insurance and PTO
- Meaningful equity ownership stake in Cartwheel for some roles
- Team-based care model with mission-driven colleagues
- Administrative support from our team so you can focus on what you do best
- Opportunities beyond clinical care, including working closely with school districts on staff support, workshops, and other programming
Cartwheel is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diverse backgrounds and perspectives and an inclusive work environment. We're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, or veteran status.